Toronto, ON, Thursday June 21, 2018 – Vividata, (vividata.ca) Canada’s leading cross-media and consumer behaviour, today released their latest findings. Surveying 42,739 Canadians (aged 14+) from April 2017 through to March 2018, Vividata’s survey of the Canadian consumer is the largest cross-media research study in Canada.
“Vividata offers the industry an unparalleled look at how Canadians are spending their time with media. At Ricardo, this level of intelligence is key for us across our media brands.” Says Catherine Gaulthier, Toronto Sales Director at Ricardo Media. “We are excited to be part of their emergence as the leader in cross-media measurement in Canada.”
A sample of highlights from the Vividata 2018 Summer Study includes:
What Canadian Adults Are Planning
- 800,000 Canadian adults expect to buy their first home in the next 12 months.
- Just over 1 million plan to quit smoking.
- Over 600,000 are expecting to become parents.
- Over 1 million plan to start their own business.
- 35% of Canadian adults are price sensitive shoppers, for whom cost and special offers are important determinates to making a purchase.
- In contrast to price sensitive shoppers, 26% of Canadians agree that they tend to make impulse purchases.
- Once 2 out of 3 Canadians find a brand they like, they claim to stick to it.
- 74% of Canadian adults read newspaper brand content in the past week, with half accessing content via a mobile device.
- While readers more actively access digital newspaper brand content on the weekdays, on weekends, 1 out of 2 readers read exclusively on print.
- 71% of adults in markets with a population under 100,000, read a community newspaper in the past month, and 56% in the past week.
- 9 out of 10 Canadians read a magazine brand in the past three months. 1 in 4 magazine readers searched online for a product, brand or service advertised in a magazine, while just over 1 in 10 made a purchase.
- 11 million Canadian adults used Netflix in the past week and 7 out of 10 of them binge watched at least once in the past month.
- Just over 1 in 3 Canadians stream music on a mobile device, with nearly 20% of them using Spotify.
Vividata’s Chair Kirby Miller, Senior Vice-President and General Manager, House & Home Media, said, “In the past few months, Vividata has done an incredible amount of work on creating unique segments of Canadian consumers and audiences in a number of verticals. These segments capture the behaviour and mindset of Canadians, and the industry has taken note. As companies look for unique and differentiating insights they are looking to Vividata as a trusted source and partner.”
Vividata is Canada’s authoritative source for insights on multi-media and consumer behaviour. It is the leading provider of cross platform audience measurement for publishers, marketers and media agencies. The single source, syndicated study uses a probability-based sample of over 40,000 Canadians with results released quarterly. A tripartite, not-for-profit organization, Vividata is governed by a Board of Directors representing the interests of Canadian publishers, agencies and advertisers. To learn more, please visit www.vividata.ca
For more information:
Kirby Miller, Vividata Chair
Senior Vice-President and General Manager House & Home Media