Toronto, ON, Wednesday May 1st, 2019 – Vividata, (vividata.ca) Canada’s leading cross-media and consumer behaviour research firm, today released their latest findings. Surveying 43,266 Canadians (aged 14+) from January 2018 through to December 2018, Vividata’s Survey of the Canadian Consumer is the most comprehensive cross-media research study in Canada.
A sample of highlights from the Vividata 2019 Spring Study include:
• 83% of Canadians have some form of smart device within their home.
• Household ownership of voice activated smart speakers has reached 7.5% of households in Canada, up from 6.8% since the last quarter.
• The top 3 voice commands used by owners of voice activated speakers are to:
i. Obtain weather updates (57%)
ii. Stream music (51%)
iii. Set a timer or alarm (42%)
• Nearly 2 million Canadians have booked a ride with Uber in the past month, while just over 320,000 have done the same with Lyft.
• Greatest likelihood of using rideshare apps (i.e Uber or Lyft) is among those aged 25-49.
• The top reason for booking a trip with either rideshare service is for ‘going out’ or leisure.
• 74% of Canadian adults read newspaper brand content in the past week, with over half accessing content via a mobile device.
• 8 out of 10 read a magazine brand in the past month, with food, entertainment, and health magazine brands as the most popular among Canadians.
• 6 out of 10 read a community newspaper brand in the past month, with readership even stronger in smaller markets.
• 2 out of 3 Canadians have watched or streamed video online in the past month, with movies and television programs as their top content choices.
• 36% of Canadians have watched content through Netflix in the past week, while 4% have watched content through Crave.
Out of Home:
• Roadside billboards or digital screens are the most noticed out-of-home advertising platform, reaching 65% of Canadian adults each week; followed by ads appearing inside or outside retail stores at 49%.
• 1 out of 4 Canadian adults have noticed an out-of-home ad in an elevator in the past week, and nearly 1 million adults have seen an ad on a digital screen in an elevator where they work.
VIVIDATA'S NEW BOARD MEMBERS
“The Spring 2019 Survey of the Canadian Consumer study continues the transformation of Vividata,” says Pat Pellegrini, Ph.D, President and CEO. “Introducing new survey topics with high relevance to marketers coupled with our expanded range of syndicated studies, from Cannabis to eSports and ethnicity, open Vividata to a broader range of clients. Our Board is paramount in the transformation of Vividata, and we are pleased to welcome two new Directors this year”.
John Souleles is Chief Data officer at Torstar, where he is responsible for developing an advanced data-driven competency and leads a team that maintain data governance, quality, architecture and analytics, delivering business insights that enable Torstar to harness information to create revenue-generating opportunities. John has more than 20 years of data analytics and business intelligence experience in leading Canadian organizations including Bell Canada and Telus.
Jennifer Mader, Digital Marketing Director at House & Home Media, brings experience from both publishing and media agency to her new role as Director. Since 2010 she has been part of the team at House & Home, Canada’s largest independent content publisher in the interior design space. Prior to that Jennifer worked with major national brands at Media Experts, Initiative Media and MEC.
John and Jennifer’s extensive experience in the analytics and digital space will be of great value as Vividata continues to deliver on world class cross-media audience measurement.
Vividata is Canada’s authoritative source for insights on multi-media and consumer behaviour. It is the leading provider of cross platform audience measurement for publishers. A tripartite, not-for-profit organization, Vividata is governed by a board of directors representing the interests of Canadian publishers, agencies and advertisers.
Vivintel, the newly created custom research arm of Vividata, offers bespoke solutions to deliver ‘a closer look’ at unique research needs. Through syndicated surveys and reports, segmentations, custom studies, first and third-party data integration opportunities, and strong partnerships, Vivintel provides a complete suite of unified solutions for actionable data. To learn more, please visit www.vividata.ca
For more information:
Vice President, Client Services | Vividata